注册 登录
滑铁卢中文论坛 返回首页

风萧萧的个人空间 http://waterloobbs.ca/bbs/?61910 [收藏] [复制] [分享] [RSS]

日志

Quora: Chinese people are extremely accepting and gracious to foreigners

已有 414 次阅读2017-6-24 14:10 |个人分类:中国| especially, physical, violence, Chinese, outside

I have been visiting China for over ten years more than a month at a time. I miss China.

Some of my early visits to China resulted mostly in funny situations, I was never in danger. I have found the Chinese people to be extremely accepting and gracious to foreigners especially outside of Beijing and Shanghai.

I did not see any physical violence during all my stays in China. Occasionally I would see reports of domestic violence on TV. I believe Chinese cities are much safer that comparable US cities and I’m a US citizen having traveled throughout the United States.

Some of the things that happened to me I chalked up to experience. What made me laugh is that the same darn things happen to Chinese citizens as well!

1. Getting ripped off by taxis at the airport. Beware of official looking taxi drivers wearing uniforms meeting you as you walk out of the airport. You expect they are legit and will charge you by the meter…….wrong. You find out too late that a 100 yuan ride to the city is now 300 yuan or more.
  2. Going on tours you find that for every sight you see you will have to go through a jade factory or Chinese medicine market, or some fake place where you they try to bilk you. One that comes to mind was a museum like building that was almost a memorial to Chinese medicine. Everyone has to get off the bus. It is then moved to the other side of the large building as is the restrooms. As you walk around the exhibits, foreigners and folks that look like they have money get asked to participate in a free talk with a doctor. After a 1/2 hour talk there is a high pressure effort to sell you a “prescription” for excellent health. The doctor will issue you a “prescription” for a prices ranging from 500–2500 yuan. Completely bogus. I was amazed by how many Chinese citizens got sold a bill of goods and were complaining about it on the bus ride.
  3. Yes, as mentioned in another post. You have to be ever vigilant walking on the streets. I was almost hit by a scooter at night. It seems the Chinese love to travel on these scooters without lights to conserve batteries. I have read that 1,000 pedestrians are killed daily on Chinese streets.
  4. Don’t drink the water, not even ice cubes.
  5. I had my wallet stolen while riding a bus in Xiangtan, Hunan. The police department did an amazing job in finding my wallet. Read about it in my “Only in China” moment.
  6. Bring your own supplies of medicine. Most pharmacies in China do not carry major brands of US over the counter medicine like cough syrup. I was amazed (and kind of shocked) you could purchase antibiotics without prescriptions.
  7. I always keep most of my money and important papers locked up. I carry a money belt with a copy of my passport and visa. I carry just enough yuan in my pocket that I think I will need for the day. Do not show your money. Even locals that pay for vegetables in local markets and do not put their money away properly will kiss their money goodbye.

My advice is to enjoy this wonderful country and at the same time keep your wits about you. Look online for local scams that are run in your area. I had to laugh when a man speaking very good English tried to get me to see a local art museum. This scam is well documented. I looked at the man, smiled, shook my head, chuckled and walked away.

Visit China, there is so much more to see than Beijing and Shanghai. You’ll love it.

What should foreigners be cautious of when visiting China?

I have read that China is a dangerous place for foreigners. I just want to know what are those.

18 Answers

Katie Pedro

A2A. Since you did not specify what kind of danger you read about, and which part of China you want to visit, so I will go very general about my answer. Foreigners are not more vulnerable than local Chinese regarding these potential danger. Use common sense.

1. Beware of traffic. Don't expect left turning car will stop and wait for cars going straight, don't assume cars will stop for pedestrians. Even cars yield your way, they will stop much closer to you than you feel comfortable with. If unsure when cross a road, go with the crowd.
  2. Pickpocket. Pickpocketing in China is not as serious as I experienced in Barcelona, but still as a tourist losing your wallet or passport is upsetting. Use extra care when you are at food stalls or ticket booth at tourist destination, public traffic, and generally very crowded places.
  3. If you visit southern China in tropical area, use mosquito repellent. Tropical mosquito can carry diseases. Northern China mosquitos are fine.
  4. Han Chinese are very confrontation avoidance. But don't bully them excessively, don't harass women. They will fight back if cornered or seeing you bully women. Don't assume Chinese minorities will react the same way as Han Chinese.
  5. Respect people's religion, especially Muslims. Don't identify them only by Hijab or burka because Chinese Muslims dress differently.

This is formal Hui Muslim outfit for man. Sometimes they don't wear the vest. The white hat is the symbol for Hui Muslim.

Uygur girl in Xinjiang. Not all of them use veil.

This is their mosque in Pudong, Shanghai.

Muslim fast food restaurant. Distinctive color and written language. Can't be mistaken.

Northwest China region and Hainan province are where most Chinese Muslims lives, but they also scattered in all provinces and major cities where predominantly Han Chinese. Don't bring porks with you when you wondering around their places. Especially don't do it on purpose. You are asking for serious trouble if you are disrespectful to their religion.

6. (This information maybe outdated. Correct me if I am wrong here). Uygur in Xinjiang are allowed to carry daggers but only within Xinjiang province. There are many black market guns in the three Northeast provinces (Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaoning). It is not legal but police usually look away. But once you enter Guannei (south of The Great Wall), strictly no gun is allowed.

[Additional points added]

7. This happened to a few foreigners in my company before, so it worth noting. They encountered some very friendly and “outgoing” girls in the bar who are very happy to share a drink or two. While they thought they would get an easy lay, it turned out the bill for the drink was 2000 per glass. Both cases reported to me were in Beijing some bar located at underground where the phone signal was very weak. One has to pay the bill, the other made excuse that he needed to step outside to call a friend to give him some cash. He ran once got to the road. The solution: these kind of scam usually don't get violent. If you ran, they won't chase you. So just ran if you can. Better, don't assume the girl fell for you too easily.

Respect the locals and be cautious of what you are doing are the key to keep you safe. Cheers

David Levy

China is not a dangerous place for foreigners or for locals these days. This wasn’t always the case, but it seems to be the case now.

China practices a form community policing, in a way that the US, for example, doesn’t.

• Lots of not-very-scary, unarmed, cops are stationed all over the city. While not intimidating, these guys can take care of routine matters since very few Chinese criminals have guns. (For the occasional hostage situation, bank robbery, or for manning checkpoints, there are dedicated SWAT teams standing by).
  • Many communities have their own “responsible cop”. Sometimes they post this guy’s name, picture and mobile phone number so people can call in case of trouble.
  • Cameras are everywhere.

In areas where this type of policing is in evidence, it’s too risky to engage in violent crime. Also, it's probably not worth it as so many people use mobile payments and carry much less cash than they used to.

On the other hand, the same caveats exist for foreigners in China as in other places.

1. Avoid groups of drunken men late at night.
  2. Don’t purposely do things to piss off locals.
  3. Be nice. Be respectful. If you step on someone's toe (metaphorically or literally) apologize (as he/she would to you).
  4. Look both ways before crossing the street.

Anyway, this is my observation from living in Shenzhen and in Suzhou. Your mileage may vary.

Edited to grammar, punctuation, and typos

Ray Comeau

What you have heard about China is largely false. Just obey all government regulations.

As a westerner I have been coming to China since early 2000’s, last 7 years I have lived here, and I have traveled to many parts within China including poor villages. I and all the expats I meet with regularly, agree China is much safer then most places around the world.

China is much safer then North America (Canada, USA) from a physical violence context. What do get is petty crime (pickpockets at big tourist attractions, and in the major cities - Beijing and Shanghai - you get black taxis (illegal taxis that over charge).

If you apply typical common sense when you are visiting a foreign country; you will have no issues.

Women are safe walking outside alone after dark.

Things to be cautious about:

• Do not eat any meat or seafood from street vendors, unless you come from an Asian country. The bacteria in China differs from those of North America and Europe. HOWEVER all fruit once it is peeled is safe. Cooked corn of the cob, sweet potatoes, etc is OK.
  • Eat at restaurants that look safe to you. Most restaurants are safe to eat but some will look shabby and use a lot of cooking oil, which the locals are used to eating but you might not be. My suggestion go where you feel comfortable, it not worth the worry. Many have menus with pictures.
  • If you don’t like spicy food tell them …. just in case ….. pronounce “boo lada” (not spicy).
  • Chinese restaurants all offer a lot of vegetables cooked many ways. You cannot go wrong with vegetables, stir-fried pork, noodles and soup.
  • Drink only bottled drinks - water, juice, beer. Exception - hot coffee and hot tea.
  • There are all the major western fast food franchises in China - from McDonalds to Starbucks, however food may taste different to suit the local market.
  • Avoid anyone that approaches you to offer you a taxi. This is a black taxi. All legal taxis have external signage, and meters. Always insist on using the meter. You can flag down a taxi anywhere.
  • ASSUME most people do not speak English. Bring a translation dictionary or an app on your smartphone. Hotels catering to foreigners and major shopping malls will have English speakers. Get your hotel to write down the name of the place you want to go by taxi. They can arrange such things. Most important, always have the business card of your hotel with you. It will guarantee an uncomplicated taxi ride back to it.
  • Always carry RMB with you. Best exchange rates is taking money from your account via ATM at the major banks. ATM’s in small towns may not have international linkages.
  • If you need to take medicine regularly, assume you cannot get the brand in China from your country. Bring some with you, in the original package. In an urgent case China will have alternate medicines.
  • If any incident occurs just be very patient and speak in a normal voice and hold your ground. Being aggressive will not be helpful.
Austin Guidry

Pickpockets and scammers. If someone comes up to you in Beijing or Shanghai, especially Beijing, and they say, “Excuse me, do you speak English?” the first thing - they’re trying to scam you. Lots of them are single or pairs of girls, or a single guy - all in their twenties. They’ll spin a story about this and that and you’ll eventually get drawn into something.

I’ve been in China for six years, and I’ve seen just about every scam, and a lot of them in Beijing start like that. Cab scams, rickshaw scams, KTV scams, etc etc. They’re everywhere.

Other than that, you’re pretty much good. China’s super safe - it’s not a dangerous place. If you’re from the USA, Europe, Canada, you’ll be far, far, far safer in China. Yeah, you may get scammed or your pocket will get picked, but China’s super safe as far as your physical well-being is concerned.

Watch videos about China - read about China. Get to know the place. You can start with my channel! Hahaha here it is: Austin Guidry

I’m happy to say China is not a dangerous place for foreigners. There are a lot of myths floating around about life in China, but once you get here you realize most of it is just talk.

It seems that some people think China is a very controlled society. In truth, China is not. There are certain things you do not do. Do those things and you’ll have trouble, maybe, but other than that, the authorities have much bigger fish to fry.

Indeed, foreigners are able to get away with things that Chinese would not. Some foreigners have told me in private this is why they remain in China. They have even greater freedom in China than they do at home! Who would have thought it?

As far as how individual Chinese people treat foreigners, you have nothing to worry about. Unless you’re Japanese, it’s unlikely anyone will treat you poorly. Chinese people are quite friendly. So don’t worry!

If you want to be able to make the most of your time in China, learn some travel Chinese. Knowing a bit of Chinese will help you feel comfortable. Please visit! We love visitors.

Bryce Undy

China is not dangerous for foreigners. Very much the opposite.

I have had numerous trips to China, from Hong Kong to Beijing to Xian, the Xiamen, to the mountainous hinterlands and smaller towns.

I have travelled on the old style trains on 9 hour train trips in cramped bunk bed compartments, walked the streets of Beijing in non-tourist areas at night as well as smaller towns in the mountains of the south.

And I have never, ever, felt unsafe.

In tourist locations you will have people try and pressure you to buy bottles of water, cheap tourist gifts etc., but if you’re not interested, just say No firmly and they will move onto the next tourist.

I have never been or heard of anyone being pickpocketed, unlike other places in the world. I would advise caution none the less.

Beijing had police everywhere, but I never saw any trouble. Rural areas had less obvious security presence, but it was never needed. People were polite, understanding of my lack of real Mandarin skills, and generally helpful. I never saw anyone agitated or aggressive.

I will warn you for one thing that may put you in danger as a foreigner… crossing busy roads in cities. China has a very different two layered traffic systems, and Beijing also had those smaller three wheeled taxies which disobey all road rules. So when crossing busy intersections, follow a local and look both ways and all ways every step of the way. Once you get used to it you will be fine, but I have seen a few near misses for foreigners because they were looking the wrong way.

Otherwise, have fun, obey the local laws and show respect and enjoy yourself.

Here are a few things that foreigners should be cautioned of-

1) Do not believe most of the things you read about when you were outside China (for example: Quote... "...I have read that China is a dangerous place for foreigners..."!)

2) Have an open mind. Resist the impulse to criticize everything that you see (if you find something "wrong", like loud talk / people spitting on the sidewalk, just keep it to yourself!). Remember, Chinese people probably have an issue with many things done in your country too!

3) Do Not expect people to know English. Your speaking any slower does not make what you are saying (in English) any more understandable! (Just as I still would not understand many Chinese words however slowly they are said... one person did earnestly try that and I found that hilarious!)

4) Behave decently - do not do anything here that you would not do at home.

I guess everything else is pretty intuitive - a foreigner who comes here will figure the rest within a months time :)

William Gary

I have been visiting China for over ten years more than a month at a time. I miss China.

Some of my early visits to China resulted mostly in funny situations, I was never in danger. I have found the Chinese people to be extremely accepting and gracious to foreigners especially outside of Beijing and Shanghai.

I did not see any physical violence during all my stays in China. Occasionally I would see reports of domestic violence on TV. I believe Chinese cities are much safer that comparable US cities and I’m a US citizen having traveled throughout the United States.

Some of the things that happened to me I chalked up to experience. What made me laugh is that the same darn things happen to Chinese citizens as well!

1. Getting ripped off by taxis at the airport. Beware of official looking taxi drivers wearing uniforms meeting you as you walk out of the airport. You expect they are legit and will charge you by the meter…….wrong. You find out too late that a 100 yuan ride to the city is now 300 yuan or more.
  2. Going on tours you find that for every sight you see you will have to go through a jade factory or Chinese medicine market, or some fake place where you they try to bilk you. One that comes to mind was a museum like building that was almost a memorial to Chinese medicine. Everyone has to get off the bus. It is then moved to the other side of the large building as is the restrooms. As you walk around the exhibits, foreigners and folks that look like they have money get asked to participate in a free talk with a doctor. After a 1/2 hour talk there is a high pressure effort to sell you a “prescription” for excellent health. The doctor will issue you a “prescription” for a prices ranging from 500–2500 yuan. Completely bogus. I was amazed by how many Chinese citizens got sold a bill of goods and were complaining about it on the bus ride.
  3. Yes, as mentioned in another post. You have to be ever vigilant walking on the streets. I was almost hit by a scooter at night. It seems the Chinese love to travel on these scooters without lights to conserve batteries. I have read that 1,000 pedestrians are killed daily on Chinese streets.
  4. Don’t drink the water, not even ice cubes.
  5. I had my wallet stolen while riding a bus in Xiangtan, Hunan. The police department did an amazing job in finding my wallet. Read about it in my “Only in China” moment.
  6. Bring your own supplies of medicine. Most pharmacies in China do not carry major brands of US over the counter medicine like cough syrup. I was amazed (and kind of shocked) you could purchase antibiotics without prescriptions.
  7. I always keep most of my money and important papers locked up. I carry a money belt with a copy of my passport and visa. I carry just enough yuan in my pocket that I think I will need for the day. Do not show your money. Even locals that pay for vegetables in local markets and do not put their money away properly will kiss their money goodbye.

My advice is to enjoy this wonderful country and at the same time keep your wits about you. Look online for local scams that are run in your area. I had to laugh when a man speaking very good English tried to get me to see a local art museum. This scam is well documented. I looked at the man, smiled, shook my head, chuckled and walked away.

Visit China, there is so much more to see than Beijing and Shanghai. You’ll love it.

Maciej Pas

I have read that China is a dangerous place for foreigners. I just want to know what are those.

You have been misled. China isn’t a dangerous place for foreigners any more than any other country. If anything - less so.

What should foreigners be cautious of when visiting China?

There’s some things you need to remember and be aware of:

• China is not an English-speaking country; outside of big cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen) it is not easy to come across English-speakers, so asking for directions can be a problem;
  • as a rule, Chinese taxi drivers don’t speak English; at all;
  • in smaller cities you won’t even find road signs in English, or English menus in restaurants
  • China is a very crowded place; very crowded; if you’re not coming from places like Jakarta or Delhi, you’re probably going to be surprised with how packed with people it is;
  • because China is so crowded, there’s a lot of pick-pocketing going around; this is probably the biggest “danger” you will face in China - if any at all; take all necessary precautions;
  • Chinese authorities don’t like people who don’t adhere to the existing law, so abide by it; carry your passport with you at all times, avoid jaywalking and whatever you do - stay away from drugs; that last part in particular is something that Chinese government is very strict about;
  • avoid causing or getting into trouble with the locals and other foreigners; a lot of things work differently in China, than they work outside of it; don’t fuss about it, just accept it;
  • remember that you’re a guest - act like one.

don't drink water directly from faucet. boil it before drinking.

everybody is on his way of making more money, all people are driving like crazy, so be careful, both when you're driving and walking.

avoid using of words like “all you Chinese are *some negative adjs or nouns”, or you'll be in deep sh*t.

honestly speaking, you're not that rich, especially when you're in tier 1 cities, unless you're some kind of trust fund baby.

police officers are relatively friendly, they probably wouldn't pin you down using WWE techniques like counterparts from LAPD but still, don't mess with wrong guy, stupidest idea ever.

don't get offended when some random people passing by stop and ask if they can take a photo with you or just want to talk to you with English 1 billion light years away from fluency. they just want to be nice.

it's a shame to tell you this but for those who don't have any street smart: be aware of scam.

1. Don’t be naked in any public area. Some foreighers do that, and it is illegal in China just like most countries on the earth. Even though it is very unlikely you will get arrested by doing this, but a lot of chinese can be really conservative about this kind of stuff. Personally, I am pleasure to see a beautiful lady naked in front of me. However, a lot of others might be pissed off.
  2. Try to avoid any topic concerned with sex, homosexual, bisexual….(you know the pattern) with minors, unless you are absolutely sure their parents are Ok with this.
  3. If you are in a minority area, and you want to go swim in a lake or river. Ask the locals first, unless you know their tradition very well. For some minortiry, lake and river are sacred.
  4. In some areas, it would be better not running or even doing any exercise outdoor. It is not about safety issue. It is perfectly safe even you run at midnight in a neighborhood without street light as long as you mind the car. It is just the air pollution in some area will make you feel bad.
Haiyan Chen

1 pay attention to traffic safety. In addition to the southern part of the city, many Chinese cities zebra crossing is useless, so when crossing the road to pay attention to safety.

2 do not carry drugs, which is fatal in china. China is very strict with drug-related crimes, no matter which country you are, as long as you carry a large number of drugs, the judge will not hesitate to sentence you to death.

Manish Sharma

No Political talks,

No drugs,

Participate in protest (there are none but don’t participate)

路过

雷人

握手

鲜花

鸡蛋

评论 (0 个评论)

facelist

您需要登录后才可以评论 登录 | 注册

法律申明|用户条约|隐私声明|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|www.kwcg.ca

GMT-5, 2024-6-29 23:10 , Processed in 0.038448 second(s), 17 queries .